Professor Rajdeep Singh Rawat
Professor and Head
Natural Sciences and Science Education (NSSE)
National Institute of Education (NIE),
Nanyang Technological University (NTU),
Singapore – 637616
|PhD (Physics), University of Delhi, India
MSc (Physics), University of Delhi, India
Summary of Working Experience
July 2018 – Present
Jul 2014 – Jun 2018
Oct 2005 – August 2019
Dec 2000 – Sep 2005
|Professor, NIE, NTU
Head, Natural Sciences and Science Education, NIE, NTU
Deputy Head, NSSE/NIE, NTU
Associate Professor, NIE, NTU
Assistant Professor, NTU, NTU
Prof. Rawat leads the plasma research group at NIE/NTU and has worked extensively conceptualization, designing and fabrication of many plasma devices ranging from low temperature RF, microwave and atmospheric pressure plasma devices to pulsed high density high temperature plasma focus and pulsed laser plasma devices. In the recent past he has been focusing on novel nanostructured material synthesis, processing and functionalization using various plasma sources. While he has worked on various materials but his major focus in recent years has been on:
- Fundamental studies on pulsed plasma devices such as Dense Plasma focus (DPF) and their applications to wide variety of areas such as: neutron source for novel material testing for first wall of fusion reactor and explosive material detection, radioisotopes synthesis, soft x-ray lithography, soft and hard x-ray imaging, material modification, and nano-structured material synthesis,
- Sustainable green plasma chemistry based synthesis of vertical graphene using natural carbon precursor and its loading with suitable active materials for applications in energy storage devices,
- Developing sustainable carbon plasma processing of different metal-oxide/sulphide nanoframeworks for their reduction to metals with simultaneous vertical graphene growth and carbon overcoats for Li and Na ion storage applications,
- 3D porous nanosctructured materials synthesis with simultaneous nitrogen doping using low temperature plasmas to make highly efficient and cost effective electrocatalyst with very high hydrogen and oxygen evolution reactions,
- High perpendicular anisotropy materials such as FePt and CoPt synthesis and devising strategies to reduce the phase transition temperature (or to achieve direct synthesis) to desired hard magnetic L10 phase, and
- (a) FE/FM hetero-interfaces voltage controlled magnetization switching, (b) high spin orbit coupling materials and (c) insulator-graphene/metal Rashba interface designing for spintronics applications.
|International Physics Olympiad (IPhO)||2005 and then since 2008||President (Since July 2018)||http://ipho.org/international_board.html|
|Asian African Association for Plasma Training (AAAPT)||Since 1993||President
|Institute of Physics, Singapore (IPS)||Life Member and Fellow||President
(since April 2016)
|Singapore National Academy of Sciences (SNAS)||2012 Onward||Council Member
|Association of Asia Pacific Physical Societies (AAPPS)||2016 Onward||Council Member (Dec 2016)||http://www.aapps.org/myboard/read.php?id=7&Page=1&Board=about_aapps|
|Singapore Chapter of IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Science Society||2012 Onward||Vice-President (Since Jan 2018)|
|Plasma Research Express, IOP Science||2018 Onward||Editor||http://iopscience.iop.org/journal/2516-1067/page/editorial-board|
|Journal of Theoretical and Applied Physics, Springer||2015 Onward||Editor||https://www.springer.com/physics/applied+%26+technical+physics/journal/40094?detailsPage=editorialBoard|
Awards and Recognition
- NIE Excellence in Research Award, 2017
- Received Gold award from The Chairman of 15th Asian Physics Olympiad (APhO) in appreciation of outstanding service to organization of APhO2014 in Singapore.
- Excellence in Teaching Commendation 2013, NIE/NTU.
- The Institute of Physics, Singapore, Cadi Scientific Medal 2012 – for Promotion of physics in Singapore (Feb 2013).
- Guest Editor for Special Issue on Z-Pinch Plasmas – IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science (2011-2012).
- Outstanding Contribution Award, Science Mentorship Programme, GEP/MOE, 2009.
- Excellence in Teaching Commendation 2007, NIE/NTU.
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Nanyang Research Programme, NTU 2006
- Research Outcome Award and Recognition (ROAR), NTU, 2006.
- Enterprising Staff of NSSE by Head/NSSE/NIE 2005
- Excellence in Teaching Commendation 2005, NIE/NTU.
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Nanyang Research Programme, NTU 2005.
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Science Mentorship Programme, GEP/MOE, 2005.
- Research Fellow, EEE/NTU, July 1999 – Aug 2000.
- Research Fellow, EEE/NTU, Oct-Dec 1998.
- Career Research Award, UGC, India, 1996 (Given by University Grant Commission of India to University Staff for Research).
- Senior Research Fellow Award (by CSIR and UGC, India, 1990-1992).
- ICTP-UM Research Fellowship Award for (Dec 1989- Apr 1990).
- Junior Research Fellow Award (40 Selected candidates from All over India through Nation-wide competition by CSIR and UGC, India, 1988-1990).
Award Won by Students Mentored
A. Awards won by students at International Physics Olympiad
I did three weeks of intensive experimental training at NIE for these students and also lead the team at these IPhOs as Singapore Team Leader.
- Five Gold Medals to Bradley Teo Wei Jie, Ma Zhao Yu, Lee Vint Ve Shein Lin Htut, Darren Wayne Lim and Ong Hong Ming Teddy – IPhO2017 at Yogyakarta, Indonesia – World Rank 1
- Two Gold (Lee Yuan and Feng Jiahai) and Three Silver Medals (Koh Jin Ming, Ng Jian Rong, and Lee Yu Tse) – International Physics Olympiad (2016) Zurich, Switzerland – World Rank 7.
- One Gold (Chua Yee Shuen Darren) and Four Silver (Garett Tok Ern Liang, Joel Tan Shi Quan, Joshua Lim Yong Kiat and Peter Yuen Ho Hin) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2015) at Mumbai, India. – World Rank 10.
- Best experiment award for Francis Wang (World Rank 1) – International Physics Olympiad (2014) at Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Three Gold (Wang Fan Francis, Chan Jau Tung and Lim Yong Hui) and Two Silver (Gideon Lee and Jee Kai Yen) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2014) at Astana, Kazakhstan. – World Rank 3 behind China, Taiwan, Korea at joint 1st position, Thailand at 2nd
- Four Gold (Sean Seet Xiang En, Daniel Mark Keat Kay, Lim Jeck, Tan Wei Liang Byorn) and One Silver (Ashwin Venkidachalam) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2013) at Copenhagen, Denmark. – World Rank 2 behind China and Taiwan at Joint Ist position.
- Four Gold (Ding Yue, Huan Yan Qi, Kuan Jun Jei Joseph, and Ang Yu Jian) and One Silver (Soo Wan Ming Wayne) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2012) at Tallinn, Estonia. – World Rank 2 behind China and Taiwan at Joint Ist position.
- Five Gold Medals (Zi Yang Kang, Kewei Li, Sen Lin, Jiahuang Lin, and Zhong Xuan Tan) – International Physics Olympiad (2011) at Bangkok, Thailand. – World Rank 1 jointly with China and Taiwan.
- One Gold (Lynn Chua) and Four Silver (Soon Wei Daniel Lim, Jie Liang Lee, Chuan Wei Darry Foo and Qi Xuan Benjamin Goh) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2010) at Zagreb, Croatia. – World Rank 8.
- Two Gold (Amyas Chew Weng Khin and Jarrel Seah Chen Yi), one Silver (Ong Ming Yang) and two bronze (Teo Mae Hwee and Tan Zhong Ming) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2009) at Merida, Mexico. – World Rank 10.
- One Gold (Chan Wai Hong Ronald), three Silver (Lam Chee Yong Leslie, Zhao Ye and Ng Kia Boon) and one Bronze (Zhao Weichao) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2008) at Hanoi, Vietnam. – World Rank 9.
- Three Gold (Ang Jian Peng, Koh Chan Swee, and Ng Wei Xiang Jonathan) and two Bronze (Li Honghi and Wong Da Wei) Medals – International Physics Olympiad (2005) at Salamanca, Spain. – World Rank 5.
B. Awards won by students at Asian Physics Olympiad (APhO)
A total of 16 Gold, 14 Silver, 19 Bronze, and 29 HM won by students mentored. I did one week experimental training at NIE and lead the team on three occasions.
C. Awards won by Senior Secondary School and Junior College Students Research Project done under my supervision
- Silver Award: NRP* 2018 to Ee Zi Hao Stephen (ACS-I) and Tan Kiat Ee Gareth (SAJC)
- Silver Award: NRP 2018 to Goh Jun How (AJC) and Per Wong Kiat (AJC)
- Silver Award: NRP 2017 Chen Zeyu (NUS HSMS) and Zhang Qing Yang (RVHS)
- Gold Award: NRP 2016 Tan Run Yu (River Valley High) and Arnav Sharma (TJC)
- Merit Award to Ong Si Ci, River Valley High School for her 2013 NRP-H3 project.
- Silver Award: NRP 2013 Mr Foo Jia Ming (Raffles Institution).
- Silver Award: NRP 2011 Mr Yifeng (RJC)
- Distinction and Best project Award: SMP* (2011)- Low Zi An1, Chan Christopher 1, Wong Brendan (from ACS(I)):; Presented in Physics Category at Youth Science Conference of Singapore
- GOLD Award: NRP 2010 Ms He Zheyang (NJC)
- SSEF Bronze Medal 2010: Ms He Zheyang (NJC)
- H3-Distinction in 2010 for H3-NRP Project done in 2008: Ms Ting Chu En (SAJC)
- DISTINCTION award in Environmental Science Category at fifteenth Youth Science Conference of Singapore: SMP 2009: Mr Kenneth Chee and Mr Frederick Widjaja
- Merit award in Physics and Mathematics Category at fifteenth Youth Science Conference of Singapore: SMP 2009: Mr Y.Q. Huan, C.Y. Ryan, Y. Wang
- GOLD Award: NRP 2007: Mr Wu Yaze (HCI) and Mr S Roy (NUS High School)
- GOLD Award: NRP 2006: Mr Dhruv Gairola and Mr Soh Rongen’ (both NJC)
- GOLD Award: Singapore Science and Engineering Fair 2006: Mr Lee Jun Yi, Mr Barry Beajen and Ms Chua Ming Ying Elizabeth (ACJC)
- MERIT Award: Singapore Science and Engineering Fair 2006: Leung Kar Fu (VJC), Lim Xin Yu (RJC), Chow Wai Yen (VJC)
- GOLD Award: Elementz 2006: Tarn Rui Xin Ryan, Tiang Cheong Long, Yik Rui Ping, Tham Guang Yu Calvin (YJC)
- Second Position: Young Person Lecture Competition (Singapore Finals) 2005: Mr Happy (Mr Happy MSE/NTU did his FYP with us and presented his FYP results for this competition).
- MERIT Award: Singapore Science and Engineering Fair 2005, Mr G. J. Lim and Mr W. H. Tan
- AStar* Fellowship all the way up to PhD (in Physics) for Ms Lin Xinyi who did research project with me and have two joint published paper.
- GOLD Award: NRP 2005: Ms Yeong Kar Fu (VJC), Ms Chow Wai Yan (VJC) & Ms Lim Xin Yu (RJC)
- GOLD Award: TERP 2004: Mr Foo Wui Ngiap (AJC)
- GOLD Award 2004 for Top Student: Mr Happy, MSE/NTU (did his FYP with us)
- SILVER Medal: Singapore Science and Engineering Fair 2004: Ms Lin Xinyi, Mr Karl Chandra and Ms Jerlene Then.
- DISTINCTION award in Physics and Mathematics Category at Tenth Youth Science Conference of Singapore: SMP 2004: Mr G. J. Lim, Mr W. H. Tan and Mr. S. J. Ng (ACS)
- THIRD BEST PROJECT Award at Eighth Youth Science Conference of Singapore: SMP 2002: Ms Phua Boon Ling Cindy and Ms Then Xin Yun Jerlene (both RGS):
- DISTINCTION Award: Among top 3 Projects in Physics and Mathematics Category at Youth Science Conference of Singapore: SMP 2003: Mr Low Xi Zhen and Mr Goh Yan Ming Jonathan, (ACS(I)).
- GOLD Award: TERP 2003: Mr Samuel Joseph (ACJC) and Ms Clarissa Lin (RJC)
- GOLD Award: TERP 2002: Ms Lin Xinyi (HCJC) and Mr Karl Chandra (ACJC)
- GOLD Award: TERP 2001: Ms Cai Li (RJC) and Ms Shi Yujuan (NJC)
NRP – Nanyang Research Programme by NTU
SMP – Science Mentorship Programme by Gifted Education Branch of MOE
SSEF – Singapore Science and Engineering Fair by Singapore Science Centre
TERP – Technology and Engineering Research Programme by NTU
Awards won by PhD Students
- Dean’s Commendation Award 2018 (Aug) – 5 Awards for Bo Ouyang for 4 journal papers and one book chapter
- Dean’s Commendation Award 2016 (Aug) – 4 Awards for Bo Ouyang for 4 journal papers.
- Dean’s Commendations Award 2015 (Aug) – One Award for SMP Kalaiselvi and one Award for Seng Yeow Sing for their journal papers.
- Dean’s Award 2014 (Aug) – 1 Award for SMP Kalaiselvi for her paper in PLA, 1 Award for Seng Yeow Seng for his paper in POP and 2 Awards for Usman Ilyas for his papers in COSMOS and ASS.
- Dean’s Award 2013 (Aug) – 1 Award for SMP Kalaiselvi for her paper in PLA.
- Dean’s Award 2012 (Jan & August): 4 Award for Mr Usman Ilyas for 4 journal papers 2 in JAP and 2 in Applied Surface Science
- Three Dean’s Award in 2011: (i) Ms Pan Zhenying for paper in Applied Physics A. (Jan 2011), (ii) Ms Shumaila Karamat for paper in Applied Surface Science. (Jan 2011), and (iii) Ms Shumaila Karamat for paper in Applied Physics A. (Jan 2011).
- Seven Dean’s Award 2010: (i) Ms Pan Zhenying – Physics Letters A. (May 2010), (ii) Ms Pan Zhenying – Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. (May 2010), (iii) Mr Rishi Verma – IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. (May 2010), (iv) Mr Rishi Verma – Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. (May 2010), (v) Mr Shahid Mahmood – Applied Physics A. (May 2010), (vi) Ms Shumaila Karamat – Journal of Physics: Conference Series, IOP. (May 2010), and (vii) Ms Shumaila Karamat for another paper in Journal of Physics: Conference Series, IOP. (May 2010)
- Ten Dean’s Award in 2009: (i) Ms Pan Zhenying – Applied Physics A: Material Science and Processing (Nov 2009), (ii) Mr Rishi Verma – Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion (Nov 09), (iii) Mr Rishi Verma – Physics Letters A (Nov 09), (iv) Mr Shahid Mahmood – Journal Physics D: Applied Physics. (Nov 09), (v) Ms Shumaila Karamat – Applied Surface Science (Nov 09), (vi) Mr Lin Jiaji – Journal Physics D: Applied Physics (Jan 09), (vii) Mr Rishi Verma – Applied Physics Letters (Jan 09), (viii) Ms Shumaila Karamat – Applied Surface Science (Jan 09), (ix) Ms Pan Zhenying – Thin Solid Films (Jan 09), and (x) Mr Shahid Mahmood – SPIE Proceeding (Jan 2009).
- Three Dean’s Award in 2008: (i) Mr Lin Jiaji – Applied Physics Letters, (ii) Mr Rishi Verma – Applied Physics Letters, and (iii) Ms Shumaila Karamat – Applied Surface Science.